April 23, 2008

I am...an idiot.

Okay, so in case some of you haven't heard the story before. When I was a senior in high school, my friend Charlotte and I were driving home one night. It was quite late...probably around one or two in the morning. We were in my brother's truck. We stopped to get gas, then went to my house. Charlotte got in her car and drove home. I went inside, told my mom I was home, and went to bed. The next morning, my brother Aaron came in my room and asked "Tessa, did you get gas last night?" I was a little annoyed because it was fairly early...earlier than I would have been waking up. Why would he come in my room, wake me up, and ask if I put gas in his truck...go look at the gas gauge! Come to find out...
I had driven away with the gas nozzle and hose from the gas station still in the truck. I had forgotten to take it out before I drove away, and didn't notice it hanging out of the truck on my way home. Aaron had gone out to go to work, and found a lovely little surprise. He still makes fun of me too. Charlotte insisted that I keep the nozzle and hose for a souvenir. I felt so embarrassed. I also knew that at gas stations, they keep recordings of people who fill their tanks. Holy crap, they have me on tape! I then became worried. Worried that the police would show up one day and arrest me (okay, maybe not THAT worried). So, I called the gas station to see what I needed to do, and they laughed at me...out loud.
Not only do they not look back on their videos, but apparently, people don't usually call the gas station because they are too humiliated. Tell me about it. They asked me to bring it back to them, so I did. Lucky for me, there wasn't anybody there but the person working behind the counter. As a result of my humiliation, I vowed that I would never again drive off with the nozzle still in my car. I know what you're thinking, 'how stupid can you get'...right? Well, I guess I can be pretty stupid. Today as I was on my way to the softball game, (which we won!) I stopped to get gas. I started pumping the gas and ran inside to get the boys some Bug Juice. When I came out, I had forgotten that the nozzle was still in the Suburban, and drove off. There is good and bad to this story. The good...I heard the popping sound that it makes when the hose detaches from the top. When I did this the first time, they said that people did this so much that they had to make it so that when some idiot drives off with it still in their car, it just detaches at the top of the hose, and gasoline doesn't squirt everywhere. SO, I didn't drive all over with a hose waving around on the side of the car...that's good. The bad...unlike last time, I don't think there could have been more people at the gas station. Every parking space was filled, every gas pump was filled with cars filling up their tanks, and there must have been twenty people inside. This time, I wasn't AS embarrassed, because I had gone through it all once before. I just figured that everyone would get a good laugh from my stupidity. So, I pulled into the one parking space that had just become empty, (the lady in the car that pulled out of that spot gave me a nice smile, like she felt bad for me...it made me feel a little better) got out, and proceeded to pull the nozzle and the very long hose inside. And wouldn't ya know...everyone started laughing. Just a little laugh, they were at least trying to be nice. Then I said, "The most embarrassing part is that I've done this once before." Then they all laughed at me out loud. The girl thanked me for bringing it back, and away I went...feeling like an idiot. I guess I'm glad I made some people smile. I'm sure they had a fun time telling people their story of the crazy lady driving off with the gas hose.

7 comments:

Momberger said...

I have to say, I do feel bad that you have gone through that twice, but I also have to say.... yeah, I laughed a little. You are so funny!

Talbot Family said...

Oh the shame. I am so sorry! I can't imagine anything more embarrassing, o.k. maybe a few things, but very few. I hope for your own personal pride that this NEVER happens again! If it does, you are doomed.

Malia said...

What I love about you is that I can totally see you walking into the gas station and saying, "This isn't the first time I've done this!" I love that you can laugh at yourself...that is fantastic!

MY KIDS, MY LIFE, OUR STORY! said...

Tessa,
That is the funniest story I have ever heard. I LOVE IT!!! I think it is great that you have a sense of humor about it. You are such a doll.
Amanda

Glenn Amber Evans said...

Ok so i totally remember when that happened.. i thought it was funny the first time. I'm sorry it happened again but yet it is still funny!! And you still laugh about it.. I wouldnt have gone back in, you go girl!!

Love ya
AM

julianne orth said...

I still think of that story every time i pump gas... and i still smile to myself about it.

Wendee said...

That story just cracks me up!