December 6, 2009

Turkeys, Birds, and Babies

I made my very first turkey this year! Aside from a minor (or maybe not so minor) break down, where I was sobbing to my mother. . .all went well!

We had quite a few people invite us over for Thanksgiving dinner, but Ben and I wanted to have our own dinner with just our little family. So, of course, I had to pick a somewhat complicated turkey recipe. I googled "the best turkey recipe" and Emeril's brined herb roasted recipe was at the top. I looked at the reviews and every single person who gave a review gave it five stars.

I had to put the turkey in the brine the day before Thanksgiving, to give it enough time to soak. Now, keep in mind that I haven't ever cooked a turkey. . .I haven't even watched anyone do it. It's always cooked when I get to the party! I opened the turkey to wash it off before putting it in the brine, and it didn't look right. There was a thing sticking out of it. A thing that I had never seen before, and that made the turkey look different from any cooked turkey I've ever seen. So, I called my mom to ask her about it, and during the conversation I had a little break down. I didn't really want to make the turkey at that moment, and I wanted to be in Utah for Thanksgiving. She calmed me down a little bit and told me to leave the turkey how it was and whatever it was that was sticking out of the turkey wouldn't hurt it. So I should just put it in my brine and let Ben help me with it when I got it ready to cook. And that's what I did (after calling Ben and crying to him and him calling his mom and telling her about it, and his mom calling me on skype to see the turkey. . .it was fun. . .). Anyway, this is my turkey in the brine.
The next day when I took it out, I showed Ben my deformed turkey and he told me it was the neck. They just hadn't cut it off like they usually do. Ben cut it off for me and it looked normal. :)

Here is my turkey all cooked. It turned out sooooo yummy! I would definitely recommend this recipe. Also a picture of our yummy dinner.


I never realized how much work it is to cook everything, and then clean it all up. There has always been multiple people sharing the work. It was still kind of fun to have our own dinner and start some new family traditions! I'm going to make this turkey again when Ben's mom and dad and Collin come (in 11 days)!
I also made the yummiest banana cream pie from scratch! My first pie ever! That was super yummy too!
In other news, one of Nolan's birds died. We have no clue how. Nolan hasn't even had them for three weeks! I told Ben he has to go buy him another one. Nolan would be so sad if he knew his birdie died. He just loves them. . .I'm going to have to think up a reason why the bird isn't in it's cage. . .hmm? I'm hoping it's okay to lie to your kids in this type of situation. . .because that's what I'm going to do. :)

And last but not least, and certainly the most important news is that I had my ultrasound and we found out that we are having a girl! Her name is going to Malia. . .I just can't think of a middle name that goes well with it. Any ideas? This is a picture of a picture. . .sorry it's not that great.

11 comments:

Heidi Hillman said...

Your Thanksgiving dinner looks delicious. Congratulations on cooking it all yourself (and only one breakdown!). I'm so excited for your little one. Congratulations on that too!

Sarah said...

Wow! Good job on your dinner. You're brave. And congrats on the little girl, so exciting!!

MathisFam said...

I'm impressed with your turkey. I had to make my first turkey this year too since my mom had surgery and had some MAJOR complications. That's so exciting that your gonna have another girl. CONGRATS!!

Jessica said...

Yay!!! I wish you would have been in Utah for Thanksgiving too, it is hard to be away from family at the holidays, but so nice that you guys are forging your own way. Your turkey looks great, I will have to google that too, I want to try it.

And super congrats on the girl, that is wonderful. I am so excited for you. What about Grace for a middle name.

eileen said...

yay for two little girls!!
how perfect that the boys have each have a brother and the girls will each have a sister.

how fun to have your own thanksgiving. we did that last year. i actually kinda liked it, we only cooked our favorite dishes and then got to keep all the leftovers.
have fun with your family in town.

MY KIDS, MY LIFE, OUR STORY! said...

YEAH YEAH, how exciting another little girl. And way to go on the Thanksgiving feast you did awesome. In theory I know how to make it all but have never done it without assistance from my mother. WAY TO GO you super mom you!
Amanda

Greg and Heather said...

congratulations on everything! i wish you were closer so you could give me the "girl" vibes...we're not going to find out what we're having so we won't know for a while. :)

Momberger said...

Once again.... I bawled through that entire post. I miss you so much Tessa. I miss play pinochle with you, I miss having you over at my Moms to hang out with, I miss your Orange Julious, I MISS YOU!

hollyw said...

Wow, the turkey looks great! Only one breakdown is great and then add in the fact that you are expecting and I would say you are absolutely amazing! Congrats on having a little girl!

The Oldroyd's said...

Way to go! I could never cook a yummy Thanksgiving dinner. Good job. I don't know what to tell you about the bird. That is a hard one. Congrats on the little girl. So exciting.

The Barron's said...

Your dinner looked great! I hosted my first thanksgiving and made my first turkey last year... also with a brine recipe... it was awesome! I think brine it the way to go.

Congrats on your little girl!! So exciting, so good to see you guys are doing well.